Monday 20 June 2011

A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Well, I’m not sure what Shakespeare would have thought about this, but according to arcane wisdom (folk /old wives lore), the fruitfulness of your crop can be guaranteed by leaping about the garden naked - especially around midnight on Midsummers Eve!


Redcurrants Add Pectin to Jam

Allegedly, this effect also applies to the potency of the leapers, so be warned.

Ripe Redcurrants - Also Good in (Mid) Summer Pudding
I have no idea what effect plucking cherries or plums naked at midnight on the 21st of June might have, but if you do feel the urge to experiment, I suggest doing it in the privacy of your own property if possible. Please pluck carefully and listen out for the sound of distant Pan-pipes and the feint tinkling of bells… Always be sure not to tread on any faery folk as this is considered unlucky, not least for the faeries.
Cherry Jam - As Made by My Mum
I was sporting shorts and sandals on our latest mission - and that’s about as adventurous as I get most days. We popped round to a nearby neighbour who kindly allowed us to crop some fruit off her cherry tree. It kept pouring with rain but the cherries were sweet, big and juicy. In a short while we collected enough fruity booty to take over to my parents on Father’s day.

All Food is Fully Tested, Naturaly

My Mum kindly offered to turn the harvest into several pots of delicious Cherry Jam. She even donated her ancient brass and iron preserving pan to us, to help in our own future endeavours.
Mum's Old, Brass Preserving or Maslin Pan
Mum’s Recipe for Cherry and Redcurrant Jam

2.5 Lb Cherries
2 Lb Redcurrants
1 Pt Water
3.25 Lb Sugar

Method
Simmer Redcurrants and water for 1 hour.
Strain through a cloth to give half a pint of juice.
Add the cherries and simmer for 20 mins.
Add the sugar, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins.
Test for setting, pot and cover.


I call this my Mum's recipe, but all recipes are handed down from someone else - very much like folk-lore, fairy-tales and nursery-rhymes.

Mothers & Others, have been making jam for centuries, so it's impossible to hold on to ownership of them.

As such, I make no appologies for copying any I find anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment